Time to set the facts straight on my voting record & credibility:
2012 ENVIRONMENTAL BILL – HB1251
- My opponent voted WRONG to allow the transport of radioactive waste on state highways without regulation. The Sierra Club opposed this amendment to HB1251.
- I voted NO – as did progressive Reps. Jeanette Mott Oxford, Jeanne Kirkton, Tracy McCreery, Jill Schupp and 10 others.
- My opponent says: “She attempts to justify her vote by saying the bill allowed unsafe transport of radioactive waste; but, the provision to which she refers was removed from the bill before it was adopted.”
- FACT CHECK: THE PROVISION IS IN THE TRULY AGREED TO AND FINALLY PASSED BILL. Modifies SEctio 260.392 of HB1251 affectingTransportation of Radioactive Waste www.house.mo.gov/content.aspx?info=/bills121/bilsum/truly/sHB1251T.htm
- “All this would do is remove some of the protections the public deserves when a hazardous material is shipped through the state,” said John Hickey, MO Chapter director of the Sierra Club, April 28, Kansas City Star. http://midwestdemocracy.com/articles/bill-to-ease-radioactive-rules-makes-some-in-missouri-worry/
2012 MISSOURI QUALITY JOBS ACT – HB1245
- My opponent voted WRONG to spend $10 million our state doesn’t have and can’t afford with the Quality Jobs Act.
- I voted NO – as did Reps. Jeanette Mott Oxford, Jeanne Kirkton, Tracy McCreery and 13 others.
- My opponent says: “We must do everything we reasonably can to create jobs for Missourians and get our economy going.”
- FACT CHECK: The legislature cut funds for healthcare for the blind, Headstart and child care programs. Missouri doesn’t have an extra $10 million. Period. Because of lack of state funding, the Act died in the Senate.
- “The Post-Dispatch reported in 2009 that there was little hard evidence to support politician’s glowing statements about the program.” http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/missouri-auditor-finds-problems-with-quality-jobs-program
LEGISLATIVE REPUTATION UNDER ATTACK
- My opponent has widely distributed a quote from a political blog, MO Scout, disparaging my reputation in the state Capitol.
- FACT CHECK: The Missouri Scout is a private GOP mouthpiece with “daily updates every morning full of rumors, gossip…” www.moscout.com.
“This FACT CHECK full supports Stacey’s admirable voting record in spite of unjustified attacks by her opponent. These 11th hour distractions appear to be a desperate attempt to disparage Stacey’s outstanding record. Her credibility remains fully intact. Her excellent reputation speaks for itself in our community and in Jefferson City. The choice is clear for me. I am voting Monday, Sept. 24th for Rep. Stacey Newman’s re-election.”
James R. Dowd
Attorney and Counselor at Law